CONCEPT

The Domus Daini concept, at the bottom of the designer team’s project, involved maintaining the high-bourgeois aura of the house, typical of the neighbourhood in which the building is located, and of the period to which it refers, but using a language that reinterprets in a contemporary way the classic and elegant style of the original building, which is also reflected in the choice of finishing materials, such as marble, wood and stucco work.

The high ceilings, wide windows, the hallways between one room and another and the floor designs, place those who live here in the centre of early-20th century Rome and at the same time at the centre of the contemporary world.
A very strong feature of the project is the interaction between past and present; the luxury and appeal of a residence which satisfies modern demands for comfort, technological fittings and attention to detail, with all the style and elegance typical of our age.

THE BUILDING

domus daini

Domus Daini is a natural and gentle evolution of original classic lines towards a more contemporary style, perceived in each of its component elements: the design of the common green areas, the finishing details and interior coverings, the proportions and size of the interiors, the way of proposing and perceiving the light that passes through these spaces, with great deal of attention given to maintaining intact the relationship between the interior and outside areas, between the building itself and the city.

STRUCTURE

The building, located opposite the Parco dei Daini, in Villa Borghese, has a longitudinal plan. Access is from Via Pietro Raimondi by means of a walkway, a ramp that leads to the underground garage, for residents only, and a driveway where taxis, guests’ or owners’ cars can stop inside the park.

The facades are decorated with plaster, except for a facing curtain wall section.

The side of the building, with views of Villa Borghese, features balconies or terraces on each floor.

The building has four floors and a basement, linked vertically to one another by two staircases and three lifts.

The basement, according to the new project, will be used as cellars for the various apartments and common areas, such as stores, communal laundry and parking area for suppliers’ and maintenance vehicles; it will also accommodate the service premises for the Spa and garden.

BACKGROUND HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FINDS

The building was completed under licence in 1915 by the builders Gaudenzio Fonio and Giuseppe Mariani, who in that period erected many of the buildings still to be found in the Pinciano district, under the direction of Ing. Carlo Pincherle. The 1939 cadastral plans indicate the owner as Teodoro Mayer.